Skin problems and pimples are a part of life – pinky promise!
Everybody – no matter who you are or where you’re from – deals with pimples and blemishes. It’s estimated that acne affects nearly 85% of people in the U.S. between the ages of 12-24.
And yes, that 85% includes some of your favorite stars.
Here are the stories of six celebs who used to be insecure about their skin, but now embrace their imperfections!
1. In 2014, Zoella revealed that she used to fear filming makeup tutorials because she worried about viewers seeing her pimples. Now, she’s comfortable in her skin. “If you’ve got spots or acne or blemishes, know that it’s normal and beautiful,” she says.
Watch her share her struggles in a vlog called “Your Skin Does Not Define You”:
2. Lorde compared an unedited photo of herself to one that had been Photoshopped to remove her acne. “I find this curious,” she said. “Remember flaws are okay.” Preach!
Lorde also posted a selfie with pimple medication on her face. “In bed in paris with my acne cream on,” she added. Could she get any cooler?
3. In 2016, Bella Thorne opened up about her skin insecurities when she shared this makeup-free selfie. “Personally, I struggled with acne for a long time,” she wrote. “I used to cry every night because I thought I looked so ugly.”
Bella has since continued the convo with her fans on Twitter, sharing skincare advice and revealing which products work best for her skin:
4. Camila Cabello revealed how her breakouts affected her self-esteem during Fifth Harmony’s first concert tour. “I literally sat in the bus crying because I felt so ugly,” she said. “I didn’t even want to look at myself in the mirror.” Noo!
Now, she pokes fun at her pimples and we’re lovin’ it:
5. Camila’s close friend Shawn Mendes opened up about his insecurities. “I don’t want to go outside when I have acne all over my face,” he said. “It bothers me sometimes. I have to keep reminding myself that everybody has these feelings.”
Shawn also revealed the secret to his now seemingly-flawless skin. “I have pimples, but if you look closely, there’s makeup on them,” he laughed. “I put it on there myself!”
6. And Shawn’s longtime pal Jack Johnson keeps no secrets from fans either. He’s always been open about his skincare struggles:
But, as always, he spilled some great advice on Twitter:
And there you have it! So the next time you start to feel insecure about your skin, just remember that everyone deals with acne, even your favorite stars. But more importantly, always remember that YOU’RE SO BEAUTIFUL NOW!