O2L: Then & Now
Find out what Connor Franta, Kian Lawley, JC Caylen, Ricky Dillon, Trevi Moran, and Sam Pottorff have been up to since the YouTube supergroup went their separate ways.
On July 30, 2012, six popular YouTubers announced they’d come together to form a viral dream team: Our Second Life, aka O2L:
Initially, the group was comprised of Sam Pottorff, Jc Caylen, Ricky Dillon, Trevi Moran, Connor Franta & Ricardo Ordieres:
A few months later, Kian Lawley joined the O2L squad, which was followed by Ricardo’s departure in April 2013. AO2L’s individual personalities meshed perfectly together and their YouTube channel hit over 3 million subscribers and garnered over 500 MILLION views! O2L headlined their own tour and even had their own movie:
But in the summer of 2014, Connor Franta bravely opened up about his struggles and revealed that he was leaving the group:
Then, in December, the remaining members shared that they’d no longer be posting videos on the O2L channel:
So what have the guys been up to since then? Let’s take a look:
1. Ricardo Ordieres left O2L in order to focus on his radio career, and he’s done just that. You can hear him interviewing your favorite stars on on his radio show.
2. Sam Pottorff, now 21, continues to tour and remains active on YouTube, where he posts twice a week. In September, he got engaged to his gf, Rosa van Iterson!
3. In 2020, Trevi Moran bravely came out as a transgender female and has been releasing incredible music!
4. Ricky Dillon released his debut full-length album, Gold, during the same month, and this past summer, he came out with another first: his debut novel, Follow Me.
In 2020, he also shared that he is gay:
5 & 6. Best buds JC Caylen & Kian Lawley remain super close, and continue to upload videos as a duo. They spent this past summer on tour and released their first book, Don’t Try This At Home.
They’re also working hard at honing their acting chops and transitioning into mainstream movies. Kian scored roles in 2017’s Before I Fall with Zoey Deutch and Shovel Buddies, which co-stars Bella Thorne:
They made their big screen debut in “Boo! A Madea Halloween,” which hit theaters nationwide in October:
7. For the past three years, Connor’s been on quite the journey. A few months after announcing his departure from O2L, he revealed that he was gay:
Then, in April of 2015, he released his memoir. A Work in Progress has sold over 200,000 copies and stayed on “The New York Times” best-seller list for four months. This past January, Connor won the People’s Choice Award for “Favorite YouTube Star.”
He’s also launched a clothing line:
NEW COMMON CULTURE CLOTHING COLLECTION IS OFFICIALLY UP AND AVAILABLE https://t.co/hySwTdnKpt ! ! ! pic.twitter.com/1l3S5rv5t6
— connor (@connorfranta) June 24, 2016
A coffee brand:
our new coffee begins roasting next week so place your order quickly and keep an eye out | https://t.co/v6Hj7KO4nB pic.twitter.com/DRubRz3dbZ
— 𝙘𝙘 (@commonculture) August 2, 2016
And actively works with several non-profits, like The Thirst Project:
attended the #thirstgala tonight! what an inspiring evening with inspiring people. oh and i had a gorgeous date ☺️✨ pic.twitter.com/m5dCzvv0qA
— connor (@connorfranta) June 14, 2016
While Our Second Life may have ended, its members’ individual lives and careers are just beginning. We’ll never forget O2L and we can’t wait to see what’s next for each of them!
keep going. keep trying. keep pushing beyond what you think you're capable of and you'll do the most amazing things, i just know it.
— connor (@connorfranta) June 5, 2016
Editor’s Note: This article was updated in July 2020 to correctly refer to Trevi Moran’s gender and pronouns.