“There’s definitely been stuff that I have not been comfortable with”
Just days before news broke that Camila would be leaving Fifth Harmony, she recorded an episode of Lena Dunham’s Women of the Hour podcast, and opened up about everything from fame to family. If you’ve got the time, the super inspirational chat is really worth a listen.
Here are some highlights:
1. Her preferred writing spot? Hotel bathrooms.
“Creativity and me writing in hotel bathrooms for the whole time that we were touring became a necessity.”
2. Attending X Factor auditions was a birthday present. Initially, she didn’t get a slot in X Factor auditions and was an alternate. But she never gave up and impressed producers with her tenacity.
“For two days, I was about to go audition and they would tell me, ‘You can’t audition. You might as well go home.'”
3. She avoids reading comments on social media.
“If I see one comment, I’ll just be thinking about it for a long time. I can’t handle that. It’s hard enough for anybody to figure out who they are…with a thousand opinions in your head.”
4. During her years with 5H, there was pressure for the girl group to show off their sexuality.
“There’s been a lot of times where people have tried to sexualize us to just get more attention. There’s definitely been times where there’s stuff that I have not been comfortable with and I’ve had to put my foot down.”
5. Her mom, Sinu, is her rock.
“She came from Cuba – where a lot of people didn’t have food to eat. Whenever there’s stuff here, little stuff that could make you angry or makes you forget that we have so much to be grateful for just having hot water, my mom makes sure to remind me of what’s important.”
We love that, and we love you, Camila!