Showbiz can be all about looks, but these celebs realize there’s a much higher purpose
Do you take your hair for granted? Most of us have a full head of it that we can brush, run our fingers through and style whichever way we’d like; however, not everyone is so lucky.
From alopecia areata to cancer, there are many medical conditions that cause children around the world to struggle with hair loss. To help with their self-esteem and confidence, they often use hairpieces, which unfortunately, can be very expensive.
These 5 celebrities cut their hair and donated it to various charitable organizations. But you don’t have to be famous to make a difference! You and your BFF can make a pact to grow your hair long and then donate it to an organization like Locks of Love. How awesome is that? Get inspired by some of your favorite stars:
1. Shailene Woodley cut her hair in May 2014 to play Hazel Grace in “The Fault In Our Stars”. She donated her gorgeous locks to the organization Children With Hair Loss as part of the #HairForHazel initiative.
#HairForHazel is a campaign, inspired by the “TFIOS” character, that Shailene started together with Children With Hair Loss to encourage other young women to donate their hair too!
2. One Direction band member Harry Styles cut his hair in May 2016 and donated his famous curls to Little Princess Trust, a UK organization that provides wigs to children suffering with hair loss.
When Harry met Prince Harry in November 2015, the prince asked “when he’d last had a haircut.” Mr. Styles told he was growing his hair in hopes of eventually donating it. Awh!
3. “Jane The Virgin” star Gina Rodriguez cut her hair in May 2016. She donated to Locks Of Love, a non-profit that provides hairpieces to disadvantaged youth.
“Short hair, don’t care. Ha. Not true,” she wrote on Instagram after getting the chop. “It’ll take some adjusting. I’ll just be a little crazy till the fairy dust settles!”
4. In 2013, Jessie J shaved her entire head for Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day, a telethon held in the UK to raise money for different foundations. Like Harry, Jessie donated her hair to Little Princess Trust.
“I wanted to do something that wasn’t just for today and wasn’t just for five minutes,” she said. “It will remind me and hopefully others that everyday you should do something good if you can.”
5. Five years ago, JB got a trim, saved pieces of his iconic fringe and auctioned them off to raise money for a variety of causes. With the help of Ellen DeGeneres, he raised over $40,000 for the animal rescue charity The Gentle Barn.
“I think giving back is so important because I was blessed enough to be in this position,” he says. “I think that if I’m not giving back, I’m not doing my job.”