“I don’t think I’ve ever tried to be skinny”
We may have first met her as Emily on Pretty Little Liars, but over the years, we’ve gotten to know the real Shay Mitchell because she shares so much of herself on social media.
And anyone who follows Shay knows how much she loves working out. For her, it’s not about being skinny or looking a certain way on the red carpet, it’s about feeling strong and powerful. Her posts make us feel strong and powerful, too. “I don’t think I’ve ever tried to be skinny,” she says. “I think being fit is more important than what you physically look like. I truly feel at my ultimate best and most beautiful after a workout because I’m proud of the work I put in and the sweat that came off, and just that I’m stronger. And I think that’s what we should really attain to instead of focusing so much on the physical look of our bodies.”
Here are Shay’s top tips for staying fit and loving yourself:
1. Remember that what you see on social media isn’t real. “If I had known that when I was younger, I would have felt a lot better myself growing up, because I was comparing myself to these girls in magazines, not realizing all the work that went into it.”
2. Moderation is key – don’t feel guilty for having a treat.
“I really don’t ever feel guilty when I eat something, because I think that in itself adds stress and cortisol and that’s what’s making you feel bad,” she says. “I eat something, I enjoy it, but then I also enjoy going to the gym the next day.”
3. Vary up your workouts so you don’t get bored. Shay loves boxing, hiking, pilates, biking, and yoga!
4. Put down your phone and take a break from mindlessly checking social media. “You just need that moment every once and a while, just to detach from everything else,” says Shay.
5. Know that your goals are attainable. “If I can do it, you can too,” says Shay. “If you really want something, believe in it, and have the drive and focus, you can attain it.”
Shay’s shared some of her workouts on social media – watch them below and get inspired!