See where Ariana Grande, Nick Jonas & more of your fave stars first honed their stage swag!
When we ask the biggest popstars how their fans can pursue a performing career, they don’t talk about practicing red carpet poses or perfecting your autograph. Instead, they advise you to hit the stage – the theatre stage, that is!
Here are 7 familiar faces who all got their start on Broadway – aka – The Great White Way.
1. Before she sang into our hearts as Rachel on “Glee,” Lea Michele made her Broadway debut as Cossette in a 1995 production of “Les Misérables.” She also appeared in “The Diary of Anne Frank,” “Spring Awakening” & “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”
Listen to an 8-year-old Lea sing “Castle On A Cloud”:
2. A 12-year-old Anna Kendrick played Dinah Lord in “High Society” in 1998 – a role for which she received a Tony Award nomination!
Here she is singing “Life Upon The Wicked Stage”
Fun fact: Anna’s first starring role was in the 2003 movie, “Camp,” which took place at the famous Stagedoor Manor musical theatre camp, whose famous alumni list includes Lea Michele & Ansel Elgort!
3. Nick Jonas started performing on Broadway when he was just 7 years old! The roles he played include Tiny Tim in “Christmas Carol,” Chip in “Beauty and the Beast” and Gavroche in “Les Misérables.”
Watch a pint-sized Nick perform a song from “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” to help raise money for AIDS research:
4. From “Lion King” to “Stranger Things” – Caleb McLaughlin starred as Young Simba in the Broadway musical:
Watch him perform “I Just Can’t Wait To Be King” at a benefit alongside Darren Criss!
OKAY, so remember how the 90’s show “Mickey Mouse Club” featured then-child actors Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, Ryan Gosling & Britney Spears? Well, the musical “13” is like the 2000’s Broadway version of that.
5. Liz Gillies played Lucy:
6. Alongside her future “Victorious” co-star, Ariana Grande!
7. And Ariana wasn’t the only Grande to grace the Broadway stage. Before becoming a social media sensation, Frankie Grande starred in “Mamma Mia.” He’d later return to Broadway in “Rock of Ages” – and it was EVERYTHING. Watch a clip below!
Umm, can we start a petition for Ariana and Frankie to return to The Great White Way, and star in a show together?!